トップ > English > Park history

Park history

Planting of tulips

In Kamiyubetsu, tulip bulbs were first cultivated as export crops between roughly 1955 and 1964. Starting around 1965, however, they became unable to successfully compete with those from the Netherlands, and cultivation has declined year after year.
Nevertheless, citizens of Kamiyubetsu still maintained a deep attachment to tulips, the flower of the town, and elderly citizens began planting the flowers in the present location in 1982. The tulip gardens expanded each year, catching the attention of people who passed along the National Route during spring. Consequently, the site has been improved and extended as the municipal “Tulip Park” annually since 1988. At present, 1,200,000 colorful tulips of 120 varieties vividly bloom in the vast 7 ha garden.
From May 1 to early June every year, when the late spring comes to the Okhotsk area, the Tulip Fair is held in the park, attracting many tourists.